As a romance writer, the hook-up can be many thing. For myself, I enjoy romantic as a subject in my favorite books and movies because love is a varied thing. Romance itself runs a large spectrum from the sweet love people see in childhood crushes to budding high school romance full of purity to the ups and downs of being an adult with a heart seeking a companion. Romance can be praised or lamented, adorned or damned, innocence or very tawdry. Either way, romance itself has a special place in my heart. I love romance.
As women, I think we especially get caught up in the romance. Romance romances us with its bright eyes and longing. Think about Disney movies: As little girls, we're feed the images of fair princesses saved by cartoon dudes who look better animated. (I'm sighing already with a hand over my chest, ready to swoon.)
As we graduate from little girls to young women, then the romantic movies and novels come in. We discover books with pictures of more dudes with serious six-packs and sexy eyes.(Then I find myself fanning myself with the book--is it hot in here?)
For me, a key part of romance in media is what I'm calling the hook-up: the moment the two silly people finally get together, They finally kiss, finally get a moment alone, finally get the ring on the finger. That's the part where I fall hardest.
Kissing scenes, book or movie/tv show, are my fave. Depending on how the scene goes, that kiss illustrates that the wait is finally over. The chance for happiness is here and all of the struggle and disagreeing was worth it for that one kiss or one moment they make love.
In society, I think we take the hook-up for granted. Cheap sex gets the rantings as the bleakness of the day take over media. We get it! Life is sad. Life is cruel. Life is hopeless many time. But life can be warm and free and beautiful. Like the hoo-up. Not random hook ups I must emphasize. But that defining moment when the love is pure, when the moment love experience a little of what God allows you to share with someone you want to spend the rest of your life with.
No comments:
Post a Comment