Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Response to some comments I read.

I will admit, I had to bite my tongue a little tongue as I remembered that everyone is entitled to their own opinions as I read the comments on the site where I asked the admin for help with promotion. She was doing me a solid.

Some of the comments stated that a black woman's suffering in interracial romance involving a black woman and a man outside of her race is the only plot device writers like myself use. (In particular, the hero is an Asian man and comes off as near perfect. Actually, the hero of "Snap Shot," Hollister, is far from it.)

"Snap Shot" was not written as a means of promoting the suffering of black women.

It cuts me as the author and as a black woman to think that my goal was to showcase Afro-American Rosaline in a negative light while placing Asian Hollister on this cloud of perfection.

Rosaline may have come off as more flawed than necessary, which I do apologize for.
I know she can annoying and seem TSTL (too stupid to live). She is flawed, she is messed up. That's who she is. I don't know how else to describe her. By the end of the novel, I hope people see she is trying to break free of her flawed existence.

My goal with Snap Shot was to show the underlying message of "two broken people can not make a whole thing" by illustrating that both Rosaline and Hollister were flawed people who could not help each other, but they could only find wholeness and peace in the will of God (because "Snap Shot" is inspiration and romantic, speaking about love on all levels).

Then again, if no one gets the message, then I have failed the readers of this site and my own readers (especially if I have to explain the meaning. That means no one understands that message sans me.)

Another comments spoke about women not being interested in stories where a woman needs to be saved by a man.

My response: As far as Rosaline wanting to be saved by a man, yes, she does.
But only because she doesn't know the true Savior. And Hollister, like I believe a lot of men are trying to do, is be a savior, a hero especially when men in society had been cut down to size and stripped out their roles.


Women, we can save ourselves and don't need men, I know that. I live that. But I think a few of us seek salvation in the wrong places. Rosaline does NOT represent every woman and especially not every black woman.

I never want anyone to think I want to continue the suffering and downgrading of my own sex, race, and definately not both.

Sigh.

What bites it that people still will miss the meaning of "Snap Shot." It has been labeled and shoved in a box. Like me, a black woman.

I understand that my work isn't the next "War and Peace" but I do have something to say.

Just remember, I am a flawed author trying to write perfect fiction.

Writing is what I'm trying to do for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment