Friday, December 21, 2012

Screw it, I'll take the diabetes

So the beginning of the year is coming soon (since the world didn't burn yesterday) and I am hitting the black-and-white keys of the keyboard with something on my mind: Some days, I don't care. Yes, I wake up and think. "I'm going to eat that doughnut and the candy and the greasiest cheeseburger I can get my jaw around, because I'm gonna die anyways."

Between a fiscal cliff, the ability to be shot simply for (insert reason), chemicals in the water and zombies waiting to get a hold of me, the RAPTURE CAN COME NOW. (Oh yeah, climate change and reality tv. Signs.)



This extends to my writing as well.

I'm a black woman born, raised and living in America.

I am either suppose to have ten kids and fifteen babies daddies with my doughnut-sized earrings or be a white woman with a good tan in terms of my behavior. I can't like too much rap music since I'm contributing to the fall of little girls' sexuality, but it's okay for me to empower my sexuality by wearing a mini skirt and a shirt tight enough to show my heartbeat? If I use the "N" word, I'm empowering myself, but "you bad white people" can't? Dare I speak "ebonics" as once asked by a white professor in a class or "talk proper" as mocked by uneducated black folk? Dare I become a female manager and mother my employees or embark on a reign of terror as a Dragon Lady? You want me to be meek, make my own money, dress modest then flash some booty every now and then, be angry yet not too angry? Should I sing that song that calls me a B or slap someone in the face for the disrespect? Save the world now or wait for my hero? Show my brains off or play dumb to get you to help me? Hope my smarts get me ahead or my opened legs?



Insert scream.



I'm ranting because as a writer and a black woman (thrice oppressed, thrice anger) I can't just write a story. If I do, I'm labeled as uncaring at times. IF I target an issue, someone takes issue.

I figured it out: Someone will always take issue.



So, there's a doughnut in lobby with my name on it. MY BMI and glucose levels can fly a kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment